The increased need for effective interventions and the difficulty of working with at-risk adolescents have resulted in the design of many non-traditional approaches to help the road to recovery. Second Chance has developed a Substance Abuse Intervention Programme which combines traditional substance abuse counselling interventions with an innovative, experiential component.
The objectives of the 8 week Programme are to assist in the recovery and life skills development of substance abusers within the communities of Bonnievale, Robertson, Ashton, Montagu, McGregor, Xolani and Nqubela. The programme facilitators work closely with identified LSAAG partner organisations to complement and supplement any existing interventions with the selected programme participants.
LSAAG SIGNATURE SUBSTANCE ABUSE PROGRAMME
The 8 week Programme covers a range of Personal and Social Objectives for each participant, including:
- Week 1 Connecting (establishing trust and groundwork)
- Week 2 Reflections of me (self-awareness)
- Week 3 Sculpting the obstacles (Understanding my reality)
- Week 4 Life stories – ( ONE Life ONE Choice)
- Week 5 Struggles, Rewards & Gratitude (Looking from the outside in)
- Week 6 Drugs & Stubs (Addressing the use and abuse of substances)
- Week 7 Triggers and my Monster (Toolkit for Sobriety)
- Week 8 Reflections and moving forward
Post Programme Support
Ongoing support of the programme participants is provided through the mandatory participation of the identified partner organisations delivering community support services within the LSAAG network to ensure a continuum of care for each participant.